5 Easy Ways to Destress While Wedding Planning

Wedding planning is an activity in your life to enjoy throughout and make as many memories as possible. Because, hopefully, it will be the one and only time that you get to do it. So why do so many need to destress from it?

People love weddings and most brides love the wedding planning that comes before it. However, it’s well-known that all the decisions can build up and become rather overwhelming for those involved. Especially for the bride and groom.

How do you steer clear of stress during your wedding planning? First, if you’re reading this and you’re already really worked up, give yourself a little perspective. Second, know that all of the decisions you make for your wedding will work out and come together.

Now, let’s take a look at how you’re going to stay calm and on top of the task at hand.

The Five Most Important Ways to Reduce Stress While Wedding Planning. From Date Nights to Pampering.

Pamper Yourself

Allowing some time to step away from all the planning can do wonders. Just like when you have stress from a big project at work, your brain needs a rest. It can’t be expected to run at full capacity all of the time.

Why not book yourself a spa weekend with the bridesmaids as a relaxing option to help you rejuvenate? You can collect your thoughts and get back to planning a couple of days later with a refreshed mind.

If a spa weekend isn’t a viable choice because of time or money, you can always pamper at home. However you like to relax could be just as beneficial. Kick back in a warm bath with some scented candles and soothing music. Add in a facial mask and it will work wonders on your stress levels.

Do Something With Your Significant Other

As is often the case, stresses and strains of planning a wedding will come front and center. When this happens, it can become easy to drift apart and lose your connection with your partner. Like most rough patches it won’t last. Still, you should take time away to enjoy being together and not let wedding planning run your life.

Find a night that works for you both and have a date night. Go for a romantic dinner, catch a movie, or take a stroll somewhere that brings back lovely memories for you both. Being able to squeeze in this quality time will reaffirm why you love each other so much. And why you’re soon to be married.

Destress While Wedding Planning. Date Night.

Mellow Out With Meditation

Not tried meditation before? Well, this is definitely the ideal time for you to try something new. If you’re not sure how to begin, download a meditation app. (Note: my app of choice is 10% Happier) Hopefully, it can help you achieve inner peace and tranquillity for mind and body. At the very least it will leave you feeling calm.

Alternatively, you can try a yoga class near you. This will give you a chance to get out of the house and have something to look forward to each week.  Classes will certainly last longer are more of a commitment. Try to get in ten minutes a day to focus and meditate in order to reap the benefits.

Digital Detox

Planning a wedding takes time and effort, so the last thing you want is to be distracted. Procrastination can be a serious wrench in the productivity machine if you’re not careful. Scrolling through social media and chatting on WhatsApp are some of the major culprits we all encounter.

If you’re catching up on things once you get into bed, it will keep you from being well rested. Watching TV on your tablet or scrolling your phone is a major setback for sleep. The blue light that is emitted from the screens of your tech prevents melatonin release in the brain. Melatonin helps to put you into rest mode before you sleep. You don’t want to be stuck up all night, so turn those devices off before bed.

Destress While Wedding Planning. Digital Detox.

Be More Well Rested

In order for you to function well, or normally even, it is essential that you get adequate levels of sleep. For average adults, recommendations for sleep are from seven to nine hours per night.

If you do not get enough sleep, you run the risk of fatigue, lack of focus, and being short-tempered. Three things that aren’t going to be helpful when wedding planning!

If you’re struggling to unwind at night, try sipping on some herbal tea and listening to music. This will help you drift off to sleep. Having the bedroom nice and dark also provides the optimum environment to induce sleep.

Destress Is Best

Bottom line is you need to find a way to destress. Whether you decide to try meditation, detox off your devices nightly or choose to put sleep first doesn’t matter. Start with one and see how it goes. Try others until you find what works for you. Remember, wedding planning doesn’t have to be stressful!

What do you think of these ways to destress when wedding planning? Share with us in the comments.

• Hazel

I totally agree that de-stressing and allowing yourself time away from wedding planning is really important to making sure you and your significant other remember why you are planning a wedding in the first place. The Husband and I would allocate time when we would do wedding planning, and at other times we avoided talking about the wedding to make sure we weren’t becoming overwhelmed or over stressed by the planning. Good blog post with some very good advice!

Thank you Hazel! It really is a balance. The more time you can spend reconnecting with your SO the better off you will be. Try not to get hung up on those small details. Plus it’s always good to check in with the girls to see if you are losing your mind. LOL

• Katherine

This is such a great post for brides! I loved planning my wedding, but the stress was inevitable. I wish I had meditated back then because that’s a great way to de-stress, but I also LOVE your suggestion for a digital detox. It is way too easy to suddenly spiral into hours on Pinterest making your mind boggle with all the ideas and decisions to make! But at the end of the day, a stress-free bride is a happy bride. 🙂

You’re so right about Pinterest. I always tell my brides to back away from it for a while. Otherwise, you’ve got 3 themes all blended together and it starts to look like a circus. Having a planner is also helpful to keep stress levels down if it’s within a bride’s budget.

• Margaret

I was a mess before our wedding. Not so much from all the planning, but more so the constant questions from parents about plans etc. They wanted to be so involved! I’ve organized large events for work, so planning a wedding for 200 people was nothing. But yes, you need to step away from it all at times before you burn out, and take your significant other down with you! Love your tips!

Thanks Margaret! Yes, my couples often tell me that their parents stress them out. A lot of the time they bring me on board to be a voice of reason. LOL

• Stephanie Sobotka

My husband and I took a long weekend trip right in the middle of wedding planning and it was just what we needed to unwind. Sometimes it’s so easy to get caught up in the details of the big day.

Oh, great idea! I should so add that to the list. It’s a great idea to get away for a bit if you can. Even if it’s somewhere not too far from home. The change of scenery helps.

I bet it can be such a crazy experience at times!

• Shana Sutton

These are great ideas!!!! And they’re great ways to de-stress during any big time–even after your wedding day. It’s always good to value self-care and so often we forget to take of ourselves which leads to more stress and more problems. The wedding day is just the first in many more big life changing events to come (changes in jobs, kids, etc).
    Great advice for us all to remember.

That is such a great point Shana! We need to check in and make sure we aren’t overdoing it. Sometimes you don’t realize you are stressed until you take a step back. Bringing these ideas into your life on a frequent basis will help you be more centered.

• Deb B.

I love this reminder to Destress from planning. I wish I had this available when I was planning my own wedding! But the great thing is – I can use this for life in general. I def need more sleep and a spa day with my ladies 🙂

• Jazz

Saving these tips for my bride-to-be friends next spring. 🙂 Thanks!

I wish I had these tips when I was getting married! It was a super stressful time for sure.

• Emily

These are such great tips! Thankfully I wasn’t too stressed for my own wedding, but I have many friends in the process of planning and are very uptight. Thanks for sharing!

• Brittany

Currently engaged but have not started wedding planning because I don’t want to deal with it yet haha!

• Justine

These are great tips, so important to relax a bit before your big day! The week before our wedding we spent the day at Disneyland, it was so fun!

Now that is my kind of relaxation! I am a huge fan of Disney since I did an internship in Walt Disney World. I have an annual pass now and I try to go at least 2 to 3 times a year.

• Christa

These are all such great suggestions! I had a destination wedding so I was only stressed about the airplane ride. It’s so important to stay focused on the why and not the details.

Sometimes I tell my bride’s that running off and getting married isn’t a bad idea! Not everyone is into all the time and money for planning a big wedding.

• Linda

This is awesome! We had a destination wedding and I only got a chance to visit the venue once so everything had to be done online. And since it’s on the other side of the world, I felt I was on computer 24/7 because night time is the best time to communicate with them (their business hours). I’m glad it’s all over now but I still need digital detox from time to time.

I’m glad it worked out! Destination weddings can be so beautiful. You’re right though, a digital detox is needed every now and then.

• Becca Wilson

These are some really great reminders. Weddings can definitely bring on so much stress.

• Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen

awesome tips! planning a wedding can really be stressful and it is important to destress to get ready for one of the most important day in your life