What to Wear to Get Ready for Your Big Day

In Advice, Dresses, Makeup, and Hair

Deciding what to wear on the morning of your wedding can be tough. You don’t want to sit around in your wedding outfit until it’s time to go. Eating and drinking while wearing your gown isn’t a great idea. Plus you don’t want to put your makeup on while wearing it either.

Should you even bother getting dressed? Well, you might not want to sit around in your pajamas or a robe all morning. If you’re trying to decide what to wear, there are a few things you need to consider.

What to wear when getting ready for your wedding day.

Wear Something You Can Easily Slip Off

One thing to keep in mind is that you don’t want to have to pull something over your head. You’ll spend the morning having a professional make sure that you look perfect, and you don’t want to ruin it. That’s why it makes sense to wear something that you can easily slip off.

First, there’s the classic robe. Or for a new trend, you could choose a dress or a jumpsuit that you can slide off your shoulders. At the online Filly Flair boutique, you can find some pretty and comfortable options. If you need an extra layer and don’t want to wear a robe, choose a cardigan or a zip-up hoodie.

What to Wear For Wedding Getting Ready Photos
Plum Pretty Sugar

Reconsider Your Bra If Your Dress Is Strapless

If your wedding dress is strapless, think carefully before putting on a bra in the morning. It could leave marks. Then you’ll be left hoping they will go away before it’s time to walk down the aisle.

In that case, you might want to wear a strapless bra or go without. Even a bra that fits well can leave marks. However, if your straps leave bright red marks, they’re probably too tight. If you’ve got a bra to wear with your dress, the best thing to do is put that on when you get up.

Choose Something That Will Look Good in Photos

Taking photos of the bride getting ready on the morning of her wedding is a modern tradition. Although not all brides decide that they want to do it.

If you are going to have some photos taken, pick an outfit that you’re happy to have captured on camera. So you might want to give your ratty old pajamas a rest. You could go with a classic silk robe, but you might also want to get dressed in something casual.

What to Wear For Wedding Getting Ready Photos
Plum Pretty Sugar

Go Matching With Your Bridesmaids

Wearing matching robes with your bridesmaids is a cute idea. Getting ready with them is one last chance for you to have some girl time before your big day. A plus is you can create some great photos too.

It also gives everyone a nice gift that they can keep. It’s best not to expect them to buy their own robe on top of their bridesmaid outfit. They will be so thankful for the gesture.

Feel Your Best

Your “getting ready” outfit might not be as important as what you’re wearing to get married, but it’s still worth some thought if you want to look and feel good on the morning of your wedding.

What do you think of these suggestions for what to wear when getting ready for your big day? Share with us in the comments.

• Jazz

I have a few robes from being a bridesmaid. They really are the best for getting ready and feeling glam while doing so!

• Ayanna

These are great tips. I wish I thought about getting a pretty robe when I got married.

• Rachel

I wore a simple white jumpsuit before I got married. It was so fun!

• Aditi Wardhan Singh

Oh ! I wish I could do over my wedding day. I would certainly use the tips you have mentioned.

• Helen Little

Some great tips here! I had photographs taken while getting ready and I picked a nice robe to wear that was easy to take off. I didn’t really think about it at the time, but it sounds like I did the right thing!

• Justine @ Little Dove

Yes, so important to keep in mind what you’re wearing if you’re going to have photos of you and your girls getting ready! And my dress wasn’t strapless but i never would have thought about being careful about what bra you wear beforehand!

It’s those types of things that really do slip your mind. That’s why it’s so important if you’re having a summer wedding to avoid those tan lines with a strapless dress too!

• Ashley

So many great tips here! Big yes to the wearing something easy to slip off to put your dress on! Back when I got married everyone wore a white button down shirt and I’m so glad the pretty robes are so in!

They always tell you to wear a button down shirt for updos. I remember that from prom. Now it’s all about the pretty robes 🙂

• Karen

I love the classic silk robe! These are great trips; I’ll also make sure to get a cute robe on my wedding day for good photos 😛

• Anna

I LOVE the matching robes that people do these days. They look great for wedding pictures before the wedding and then fun to have and wear after.

• Kelsey

I always love how pictures turn out when everyone wears robes!!

I wish I had done it with my girls. We got matching black yoga pants with bride, bridesmaid, etc on them. The problem was when we went to take a picture they were a little more see through then I realized. Whoops!

• Kimberly Lehman

Great ideas in this article! Well written. Thank you for sharing!