7 Important Wedding Things To Stand Your Ground On

When it comes to planning your wedding, there are certain times you’ll need to stand your ground. Other times you’ll need to be flexible, and this can be for a variety of reasons. First of all, things that you think of in your mind may not actually exist in real life. So that makes it pretty impossible for you to make it happen. But that’s not all. You may find that dates don’t match, that things or people or places are all booked up. And then there’s the matter of other people’s opinions.

Why You Should Stand Your Ground On These 7 Important Wedding Things.

Now, some things are going to be out of your control. You won’t always be able to change the situation. Instead, you just need to take a big breath and let it go. But this won’t apply to everything.

Stand Your Ground

After all, this is your wedding. So isn’t it only fair that you’re able to have the wedding that you want? If you’re trying not to be a bridezilla and keep everyone happy, you have to let go of smaller things. But there are always going to be those key things that you have a right not to compromise on. If you’re not too sure what you should be sticking to, then you’ve come to the right place. Here are the seven things you should always stand your ground on.

1) Your Dress

First of all, there’s the dress. It’s common that you’re going to be trying on potential dresses with your mom and your maid of honor. It might even be with all your bridesmaids, close friends, and some family! So when you’re considering the styles that you like or trying on different options, you may find that you’re overwhelmed with options and opinions. Just make sure that you pick the dress you love – no matter what others want you to do.

2) Your Bridesmaids

Next, you’re going to want to make sure that you actually pick out the bridesmaids you want. Yes, your family may want to have a say – your fiancé too. But remember, you want this to go well. So don’t feel pressured into choosing people that will cause drama, or you just don’t want in the bridal party!

Stand Your Ground On Wedding Things. Bridesmaids.

Your Beauty Prep

Then there’s your beauty prep. If you want to look and feel your best, you need to plan out treatments and preparations in advance. Just take a look at this bridal beauty guide to see what can be done. While others may say you don’t need to do it, it is your choice. If you want to look great and you’re happy to invest in this area, then go for it. It is your day after all.

The Catering Choices

And always stick to the food options that you really want. You want to make sure that you (and everyone else) eats well at the wedding. Even if you want to go with different food stations to give choice, stick to it. It’s important to go with catering choices that will make you happy on the day.

Stand Your Ground On Wedding Things. Food.

The Wedding Size

Another key point to try and stand your ground with is the size of the wedding. Want a small wedding but others are pressuring you for invites? Stand your ground. Want a big wedding but people are telling you to keep it small? Stand your ground! This is the one thing that can really affect the budget and the overall feel of the wedding. Don’t let others convince you to choose a style of wedding that you don’t want.

The Venue

From here, something that also leads on from the size of the wedding is the venue. Choosing your wedding venue is hard enough, so don’t be persuaded to go with something to appease someone else. Instead, you’re going to want to make sure that you go with the place of your dreams. If you know you want to get married in Italy, then don’t let your parents convince you not too. It’s your wedding, not theirs.

Stand Your Ground On Wedding Things. Lake Como.

Your Time

Finally, make sure that you’re really strict about how you spend your time at your own wedding. Yes, your parents may want you to do the rounds and spend time with everyone, but it’s your day. It goes by so quick. You need to make sure that you enjoy your wedding and this means doing exactly what you want. So be precious about your time, take it all in, and have the time of your life.

What do you think of these 7 things to stand your ground on? Share with us in the comments.

• Tanvi Rastogi

Different cultures, different way … but i do agree one should stand for what is important for them. It is your wedding after all 🙂

❥ tanvii.com

That is so true Tanvi. What is standard for one culture may be foreign to another. But standing up for what you really want is always a good idea!

• Sam | Away She Went

These are great tips! I’m saving this for my someday wedding. I’ve already decided that I’m only taking my mom when I try on dresses. I’ve seen enough episodes of Say Yes to the Dress to know that a big group can be chaos! Plus we have similar taste so I know we’ll be on the same page.

• Jenni LeBaron

These are all great things to consider. I think the wedding size will end up being our largest issue because we really want to elope and I think we may end up offending some family by this. I do think there are plenty of ways that we can help them to feel involved though.

I think if you really want to elope you should! Most of the brides I know that wanted to elope and didn’t end up with a lot of regrets. You can always throw a big party for everyone when you get home to celebrate.

• Angela Amores

Yes to all of these! Especially the wedding dress and beauty portion. I stood my ground for sure on those.
    Angela

• Marya

I went through all of these headaches when I got married but I stood my ground. No regrets!

You definitely want your wedding to be how you envision it, but always have to remember that it is just a day. Compromise is essential for weddings and in the marriage to come.

• Rachael Stray

I think sticking to a budget and your guest list are also important too speaking as a bride from just two years ago.

• JLyn

We kept our wedding simple, and it was beautiful. There were a few things that I wanted though, and I stood my ground. I’m so glad I did; our wedding was perfect!

• janna

yes, definitely know your own mind but keep it open to different ideas. I thought I hated lace didn’t even want to see a lace wedding dress and then fell in love with a lace dress when the saleslady brought it to show me. I filled out a questionnaire of all my musical likes and dislikes for the reception and the dj pretty much did the opposite of what I thought I would like and it ended up great. Sometimes you just have to be open to changing your mind and being flexible!

I see it time and time again with the wedding dress scenario. So many brides think they know what they want just from looking at a bridal magazine or online. Once they start trying on dresses it’s a different story. It happened to me! Glad you were flexible with your DJ. I think I would’ve been a little upset if he played the opposite of what I asked for LOL

• Aurola Wedman

Good post. I think the dress and how you spend your time are huge ones. You want to feel comfortable and pretty, and of course, you should spend your wedding day with those you want.

The dress is what you’ll see in pictures for years to come. The memories with your loved ones are something to cherish, so making sure your guest list has those closest to you is important.

• Ashley

Great tips! If you are going to spend your money, you should definitely get what you want.

• Em Smith

Great tips for the wedding. I think the food is one of the most important on the wedding 🙂

I think a balance for food is good. You want something that everyone will enjoy, but don’t blow the whole budget there as it’s just one meal.

• Edyta

I think that Wedding Size is always the biggest problem. People normally do not get offended by the venue or food choices, but the size of the wedding is always an issue. People do get hurt if not invited, but you should not blame them. I decided to elope and avoid a typical 300- people wedding which my cousins usually organize. I do know, however, that because of my decision I will probably not be invited to their weddings, and I do understand. When eloping, this is also something to keep in mind.

You make a valid point Edyta. I think regardless of wedding size someone is always bound to get upset by something. That is why I recommend doing what you and your partner want.

• Vicky

Wedding size is tough to control. My daughter got married last year. It costs us a bit more but both sides worked together on the list. The bride, groom and both sets of parents planned the wedding with the wedding planner, but let the bride and groom make most of the decisions. It was beautiful.

Vicky that is wonderful. I love seeing families come together and help plan the big day. Keeping the bride and groom at the center of it all minimizes the drama. I’ve seen way too many moms or mothers-in-law try to take over the wedding. It’s a headache for everyone. Glad it all worked out!

• Dorothy Berry-Lound

Everyone has their opinions, not all of them helpful. Having a plan and sticking to it regardless is one way of reducing stress – weddings are stressful enough and should be beautiful days to cherish.

• Marysa

It’s so important to stand your ground on just about everything! It’s your wedding and your special day – so make it what you want. Our wedding started to turn into a mess and my mom was in rapidly declining health, so we decided to have a planned elopement in Mexico and come back and have a reception. That did not go over well with a lot of people. My mom passed away 6 weeks after my wedding and no reception happened – and you know what, that was fine. We saved ourselves the drama and my mom passed away peacefully knowing that I had the wedding I wanted.

Thank you for sharing that Marysa! I am glad your mom was able to be around to see how happy you were with your wedding choice. At the end of the day, you should only take into account the opinions of those in your inner circle. The rest is just noise.

• Jackie

I love all of these! You have to put your happiness first at your wedding, for sure!

• Mila Buckley

All totally important! The thing that matters is that you and your partner are happy and that the day is Joyous and wonderful

• Felicia

These are great tips! Everyone wants to add their two cents, but at the end of the day, it’s your day, not anyone else’s. You don’t want regrets

• Audrey

My elopement at my church in a discount dress with only our parents in attendance isn’t for everyone, but it was for me. Some people let us know they weren’t happy with our choice and not so coincidentally those people have drifted from our lives.

That happens! Weddings bring out the best and the worst of people. Those that are truly your friends will understand your decision and no love will be lost.