Engagement Story: Oops, I Think I Swallowed The Ring!

In Brides Confess!, Engagement Stories, LOL Stories

This February marks 2 years of blogging for me at Bridesmaids Confession. In all that time, I haven’t told any of you my engagement story. I try to give advice and keep up with current trends. If you’ve been following along you see I post lots of “How To” articles and “Do this, Not that.” I’ll still blog that, but moving forward, I want to share more personal experiences, whether they be mine or yours. So I thought, why not start with my engagement story?

Engagement Story. Oops I think I swallowed the ring!?

We Met Speed Dating

I met my husband Jamie speed dating. Yes, you heard me right, speed dating. I remember that day vividly. The lady I spoke with the night before told me it was going to be $17 and to bring cash. The morning of, I was running down my apartment stairs and stopped to check my wallet. Did I even have any cash? I did. It was exactly $17. Kismet if you ask me.

Our First Month of Dating

Needless to say, we matched. He emailed me the day after the event! There are many other stories I can tell you, but we need to get to our engagement story. Here are the dating highlights:

• Date One: We went to Seasons 52 restaurant.
  • Date Two: We went rock climbing, and I accidentally dropped him off the wall.
  • He still wanted another date. I ignored him for a few weeks. In hindsight, I know it’s because he was unlike anyone I’d ever dated and it scared me.
  • Date Three: We went to a fancy restaurant in Philadelphia that he pretended to enjoy.
  • Date Four: We went to a rodeo for my birthday. That same night I blurted out I love you, mortified at first, only to have him say I love you too!
Engagement Story Jamie and Theresa while dating.

Our Relationship on Fast Forward

I knew Jamie was the one for me. That’s why I was pretty forward with the fact I wanted him to propose. At 28 years old, I had never been engaged or married and was ready for that commitment. I was even playfully teasing him about proposing, telling him I didn’t want a public proposal. That I thought the moment should be for us to share. Four months into our relationship, I got that proposal.

Our Engagement Story

The night he proposed I came home to him making dinner. Something he did occasionally so I wasn’t completely surprised. I was curious to see that he already had a bottle of wine out for me and that said no help was needed in the kitchen. After dinner, I convinced him to watch The Wedding Planner with me. I should’ve known right then and there it was the moment because he hates J-Lo. I mean, she was banned from our wedding playlist.

A little bit into the movie he told me he was going to get us some ice cream. There is an amazing ice cream parlor near where he used to live. I said okay, as I am always game for ice cream! When he returned with the ice cream I put the movie back on. Barely two minutes in he went into the bedroom and didn’t come out.

Ooops, I Swallowed the Ring!

A solid five minutes went by. At that point, I was finished my ice cream. I playfully yelled from the living room, “Oops. I think I swallowed the ring. Babe! Why would you put it in my ice cream?” Finally, he emerged from the bedroom and came over to me. He said, “Let me see. Say ah,” as he put his hands on my face. I jokingly played along.

Jamie then said, “Babe, I know you didn’t swallow the ring because I’ve got it right here.” That is when he got down on one knee and said to me, “I’ve been racking my brain to find the perfect time and place to ask you this question. Then I realized, every day I am with you is perfect. Theresa Marie, will you marry me?”

Of course, I said yes!

Celebrating Our Engagement

To celebrate our engagement we went back to Seasons 52, the restaurant where we had our first date. We even had the same waiter from our first date. He was always so nice to us, so we told him we were engaged. He congratulated us and went back to put in our order.

Engagement Story Theresa and Jamie.

All of the sudden two glasses of champagne were sent to our table. Our waiter came out and asked if we’d like our picture taken. He then brought back a printed and framed copy for us to keep. To this day I am forever grateful. We didn’t take any pictures on the night we got engaged. (It was a Tuesday, in his apartment, remember lol) This one picture remains one of my favorites because it captures that short window of time in our lives together.

Upgrading the Frame

Although I’ve always loved that Seasons 52 framed the picture for us, it always gets so dusty. Especially because the engagement picture sits on our entertainment center.  I realized that in order to preserve it, I would have to put it in a frame.

Looking at GiftsForYouNow.com, I came across a gorgeous frame when shopping their Valentine’s items. I thought it would be a nice surprise Valentine’s Day gift to have it showcased in this personalized frame. It honestly turned out great.

Engagement Story Giftsforyounow Personalized Valentine Gifts.

Are you looking for a gift for your significant other? I highly recommend looking at all the personalized Valentines gifts at GiftsForYouNow. Exclusive special for Bridesmaids Confession readers: Use code SPECIAL1 for 15% off and free ground shipping before January 31, 2018!

What do you think of our engagement story? Share with us in the comments.

• Annie

What an adorable proposal story! I too am always down for ice cream ?

A good friend of mine gifted me an ice cream maker at my bridal shower. It was so sweet that she remembered the story a year later. Very thoughtful.

• Jen Morrow

Awe, that is so sweet. Ring in the ice cream would be pretty cute, but the simplest plans proposals are my favorite. Great story and so glad the waiter took that photo.

Thanks, Jen! It really has become one of my favorite memories. Having a big proposal is fun too, but simple can certainly be sweet.

• carrie from youreengagednowwhat.com

I LOVE THIS STORY!! and I love the way you recapped it! You are both lucky to have found each other!

Thank you Carrie! I really am a happy lady. I tell everyone I’m “Married AF” and that was even before that became popular.

• Christina

That is too cute! I don’t have any engagement pictures from our day (or anytime near it) and I so wish I did! I knew my proposal was coming only because my now husband was getting flustered and nervous trying to find a spot to propose all around the Phoenix Zoo! He even got down on one knee in front of the lions exhibit and then was like, nope, got back up, and finally got up the courage on a ride overlooking the whole park. Thanks so much for sharing your story!

I love your engagement story Christina! Did you realize what was happening when he got down on one knee in front of the lion exhibit?

I had a friend that happened to as well. They kept wandering all over town and she was getting tired. She started to get annoyed and then he finally proposed. LOL. I can’t imagine how much pressure it must be to be the one that proposes!

• Taylor

This is such a sweet story! I love reading engagement stories. They are all unique to the couple, and yours was nothing short of that! I can’t wait to read more.

• Rachael Musser

Ahh! Such a fun story!! I love reading other people’s engagement stories (almost as much as I love telling mine 😉 ). It just makes me smile 🙂

• Maya

What a cute story! You two look so happy! Love it!

• Guillia (Borrow the Bride)

Well this has just made my day! And now i want ice cream.

How lovely! I did speed dating, too (not how I met my husband) and I always recommend it to people. I wonder if people still even do it…? Thank goodness you didn’t really swallow it!

I know they still do speed dating out in New Jersey. I recommend it to be people as well. I haven’t seen it in West Virginia though. I too am glad I didn’t swallow it. Hahaha.

You guys are so cute. And your love story AND engagement story are soooooooooooooooooooooo adorable. I loved loved it. Thank you for sharing with me.

• Leah

Such a cute story!! Love the frame. I am glad you really didn’t swallow the ring!!! And it sounded like the perfect time for the question. Mine wasn’t so smooth… great story but let’s just say a few heads turned. Love the picture frame too!!

Thanks, Leah. Yeah he really did transition my joke amazingly! The frame is gorgeous. Perfect for that special moment capture in a photo. I’d love to hear your engagement story if you’re up for sharing!

• Stephanie

Engagement stories! It’s so sweet that you remembered exactly what he said. I remember that my husband actually used my full name with my middle name included… It was the sweetest and I’ll never forget

• Cait

This is so sweet 🙂 I love hearing engagement stories. SO happy for you 🙂 happy V-Day!

• Leigh Suznovich

Such a sweet story and you two are adorable! Thanks for sharing :-).

• Latasha Peterson

Oh! I love this and all thing engagement! 🙂 Such a cute story.

• Rachel

Awww! LOL that’s such a fun story to have!

• Bianca

Aw I love hearing stories about how people met and especially proposal stories! Thanks for sharing with us Theresa 🙂

• Amanda

This is such a sweet story. You seem perfectly matched to each other. Congratulations!

• Mantela

I laughed at the moment when you did pretend to swallow the ring xD
    By the way – I know that it is not the case of your story – but I think placing the wedding ring in food is stupid and even may be dangerous

I totally agree that you should never put the ring in food. That always scared me! You’re going to put this in my champagne glass and hope I don’t drink it, nope! Hahaha. That’s why it was a total joke when I was pretending because my now husband knew I would never want the ring in food.