Congrats, You’re Engaged! So What Do You Need to Do Now?

In Advice, Engagement Stories

Congratulations! You’re engaged! Now you’re probably thinking, “What comes next?!” And I’m here to tell you, you’re not alone. After the initial excitement of becoming engaged begins to fade, you start realizing how much there is to do! You have to pick a date, a venue, buy a dress and oh so much more! It can be super overwhelming right at the beginning when you’re engaged. Don’t fear, I am going to try to help take some of that stress away. Here are the top 4 things to tackle after you’re done staring at that ring on your finger!

What to do after you get engaged. Hire a wedding planner and find a venue.

You’re Engaged… Celebrate!

Before you do anything else, take some time to enjoy being engaged! Pop that champagne and call up all your friends and family to tell them the good news. Maybe even have an engagement party! Just don’t forget to tell those closest to you the news before you announce it on social media.

True story, when I got engaged I set out with my new fiance on a “ring tour.” We wanted to make sure those closest to us knew the news before we made it Facebook official. For me, telling friends and family in person was the perfect way to go. Plus the first thing people usually do is say, “Oh, let me see the ring!?”

Engaged Woman Showing Off Her Ring

Pick a Date

Do you have an idea of when you want to have the wedding? Maybe you have a day that is special to you that you know you’d like to do it on. Maybe you just know your preferred season. Either way, selecting a few dates is ideal. For instance, the venue you fall in love with may have specific availability. The more flexible you are with your date, the more options you will have for selecting a venue.

You're engaged. Pick a date.

Find a Venue

If you are open to different venue types, narrowing it down can be a lengthy process. If you’re unsure, a great way to help you decide is to think about the way you want your wedding to feel. Will it be glamorous and fancy in a ballroom setting? Maybe more outdoorsy and rustic? Laid back and on the beach? Or perhaps you want something totally offbeat at an aquarium?

Whatever your ideal place, research and schedule some venue tours as soon as you can. The best venues book up quickly. In fact, most venues are booked a year or two in advance. Make sure to check that they have your date available when calling to set an appointment for a venue tour.

You're engaged. Find a venue.

Consider Hiring a Planner

There are many more steps to planning a perfect wedding and it can be so overwhelming. A wedding planner can help you check things off your list while saving you the stress. Sure wedding planners help you with finding a photographer, caterer, and other vendors. But they are also there to narrow down decisions on things like attire, decor, and DIY options. Yes, there is such a thing as too many DIY wedding projects, especially if you want to keep your sanity.

A wedding planner is a great resource to have in your corner no matter the size of your wedding. Many couples don’t think they can afford a planner, and that is often a myth. Wedding planners have many contacts and can end up saving you so much money. What they save you often pays for their services and then some!

You're engaged. Hire a wedding planner and limit DIY projects.

I personally believe that every couple should have the luxury of a wedding planner at their side. It’s an important day that you want to remember with joy. It’s not meant to be remembered as a blur of checklists and anxiety.

My best advice is to find out what is included in the price you are paying for services. Most planners, myself included, have multiple packages to keep things affordable. If you still feel it’s outside your budget, find out what the cost is for a day of coordinator. At a minimum, it’s important to have someone help make the wedding day run smoothly!

What do you think of these suggestions? Share with us in the comments.

• candy

We had a small wedding and focused on us, family and friends. Enjoy the journey to being married.

Thanks, Candy. I think you got to the heart of what a wedding is… the union of two people surrounded by those who love them!

• Guillia

I love the beginning bit, so exciting! Hard not to get overwhelmed but just breathe and milk it!! Xx

Yes, Guillia it is so exciting! I love your “milk it” comment. Haha!

Great suggestions!! Taking time to just enjoy being engaged for a little bit before planning the wedding begins is so important. I also think knowing your budget is key before even picking a date.

Hmmm yes, I may have missed a step in there. Budget is a VERY important thing to know before you put down deposits on vendors. Having a wedding planner assist with your budget is helpful too. We know all the costs of things so we can determine if things are a reasonable rate or not.

• Marie, Mamma's Cooking

Great advice! My wedding was over 16 years ago, but the key lesson I remember is not to sweat the small details. I was really stressed in the weeks leading up and then 9/11 happened. I was living in DC and getting married in Boston 4 days later, with some family and guests living in NYC. We debated cancelling but then decided something positive was needed. I didn’t even care that the flowers I wanted were stuck on the tarmac in New York, because it was so meaningful for our closest family and friends to all be together at that time. Family, friends and marrying the love of your life is the most important 🙂

Thank you for sharing your story Marie! I can’t even imagine how hard of a choice that was with 9/11 happening around the time of your wedding. I totally agree with you that it’s easy to get overwhelmed with all the little things that add up. The most important part for sure is the union of two people surrounded by those they love!

• Paige

I just got engaged! Thank you for the post. I will be sure to follow along to help with my planning!

Congrats Paige! I’m glad you found this helpful. I’m here if you need anything.

• Belinda

Great Tips! We organised our wedding in six weeks. The above comment not to sweat the small stuff is so true! You have to remember what is at the heart of it – making a lifelong commitment to your spouse 🙂

I agree 100% Belinda!

• Anastasia

It all depends on how important the wedding is for you. The party itself. If we didn’t have anyone except immediate family, I wouldn’t be sad at all. But for my husband it was all about a big party, so he was organizing almost everything. It was a very short notice, just 1.5 months before the wedding. I bought my dress within 40 min, after checking 3 stores and trying 5 dresses, and then just waited for the wedding day to come. So it’s all up to the bride to worry about every little detail, or to enjoy and accept whatever shade of pink are the flowers used in decoration 🙂

You’re right Anastasia. It depends on what type of wedding celebration you are looking to move forward with. There are plenty of couples that choose to elope, and that lessens the number of things on the to-do list. I think the couple should always do what is in their heart.

• Jessica Wagner

So much good advice! There are so many details to remember when planning! This is a great place to start! XO

Thanks, Jessica. I am glad you find it useful.

• Van Cast

Great post Theresa, we’re planning to get married this year 🙂 after 10 years together plus a 4 years old son hehe. We will love to arrange something simple…I mean reaaaaaally simple and intimate ♥ Hugs!

Congrats Van! Not everyone wants the big weddings that have become popular over the last two decades. I say do what makes you happy. If you’ve been together 10 years then you have a great idea of what will be best for you. Simple and intimate sounds sweet 🙂

• Amanda

Beautiful post! Gosh, it feels like my husband and I were married forever ago… We just celebrated our 14th wedding anniversary 12/27! I am debating doing a vow renewal at Christmas for my husband and I… just us and our kiddos I think… still debating. We never had a photographer just my cousin who lovingly snapped a few photos for us… Boy do I wish I had paid for a photographer… The planning is a lot of fun but the true work begins after you say I do! <3

Congrats on your anniversary Amanda. I think a vow renewal for your 15 year anniversary with just you two and the kiddos sounds lovely. It will be a great memory and a chance for you to get some professional pics.

• Angela Amores

I love the idea of a tour to see family and let them see the ring. That is so cute. We had a wedding planner and it made all the difference. She was so hopeful when it came to helping me speak with the different vendors to find wiggle room on our budget. Best idea ever.
    Angela

Thanks, Angela! The ring tour wasn’t planned, it just happened out of excitement. Something I’m really glad we did. I always find that brides who work with wedding planners are happy they did 🙂

• Mary Leigh

All of this is really great advice! I focused on getting all the big details nailed down quickly after we got engaged, which allowed me to take a little time off of wedding planning to enjoy the holidays with family before picking it back up in the new year when we got married. It was such a relief to have these things out of the way early on!

I agree Mary. The bigger things like budgeting, the venue, finding your vendors are so important to get done early. I sort of did the same thing. We booked our venue a year and a half in advance. Then I took a little break and around the year mark hired a planner to sort out the rest.

• Tanvi Rastogi

I am certain newly engaged couples would find your post so helpful. Getting things planned and the details take up so much time and energy.

Thanks, Tanvi! It really is time-consuming.

• Jazz

Wedding planning is no joke. Pinning this for my all my engaged friends!

Thank you so much Jazz!

• Rachel Catherine

These are good first steps. Sometimes you might have to be flexible on your day to fit certain venues though.

You’re right Rachel. We weren’t very flexible with our date so we booked a year and a half in advance to get the venue we wanted. If you have less time to plan and know the venue you want, then you really do need to put that ahead of the date.

• Erica @ Coming up Roses

Yaaas, girl! Celebrating that engagement is sososo important! A once-in-a-lifetime (hopefully!) event! And then, of course, you gotta get started with planning.

I’m all for celebrating from start to finish, and then some more afterward too. Pop that bubbly!

pingbacks / trackbacks