The Ultimate Guide to Wedding Day Flowers

There’s a lot that goes into planning a wedding, and wedding day flowers are just one small part. Besides choosing to commit to someone for life (no small step, indeed), you’re also hosting an event. Sometimes it involves a guest list of friends and family that exceeds well into the hundreds, gathering in multiple places.

For people who regularly plan events, all those details and all the scheduling may come as no surprise. For the most part for them, it’s no big deal. But for most brides, a wedding is the biggest thing they’ll ever be in charge of. It’s also the most expensive thing they’ve probably ever budgeted for too.

Those factors together—a big event, unfamiliarity with everything required—can be troublesome. It’s part of the reason so many weddings end up more expensive than families planned. And one of those things that can quickly get out of budget control is flowers.

Budgeting Factors with Flowers

Like most elements of a wedding, the flowers are used in multiple places—bouquets, corsages, centerpieces, decorations. That is part of the reason why most experts say to put 8% of the overall wedding budget for flowers. (If your budget is small and 8% barley makes a dent, check out this article “Minimalist Flowers, Big Impact” for a few more tips.)

There’s another explanation for why flowers start out as a relatively minor piece of your budget and then grows: seasonality. Wedding day flowers are beautiful, but not all are easy to come by during different seasons and specific locales.

Of course, there are some blooms that are grown in good quantities all year round. The carnation and freesia are just two examples. But many couples don’t want the flowers that everyone can get. That’s why it’s important to check the season. For example, expect price differences if you’re trying to obtain a cosmos in winter.

Wedding Day Flowers Guide

Need more help with choosing wedding day flowers? Thankfully you can use the info in this graphic to help guide your seasonal, budget-smart flower choices.

Click to Enlarge Image

Budgeting for Wedding Bouquets: A Seasonal Flower Chart

What do you think about this easy to use chart? Share with us in the comments.

• Helene

This guide is incredibly helpful! I’m getting married next year and had no idea where to even begin with flowers.

I’m so glad you could get some use out of this Helene. If it takes a little bit of stress off all that wedding planning it’s surely done it’s job 🙂

• Erika

So true! I wish that the bridal magazines put seasonality into the captions of these weddings. Everything I wanted wasn’t in season for a fall wedding and was going to cost an arm and a leg so I had to settle. Also important to think about when choosing a date. The florals can really alter the whole aesthetic.

I couldn’t agree more Erika. I decided to have a summer wedding but throughout the planning, I realized I really coordinated all my colors to a spring wedding. (Still, everything came out nicely) Since most brides plan one wedding, it’s tough to know all the tricks.

• Jenny

This is incredibly useful! I have no clue when it comes to wedding preparation, for when I get married this is good to know about the seasonality of flowers and the cost that goes into the flowers.

I’m glad you found it helpful Jenny.

• Alison

This is such an incredibly helpful guide! I have no idea how to begin budgeting for something like this but you’ve covered everything & more!

Thank you, Alison. I’m glad you found it helpful!

• Rachel Catherine

What a great guide for people looking to get married! Flowers make it so festive.

Flowers are such a beautiful accent piece of weddings.

• Rachael Stray

I think having a good relationship with your florist is important and remember to include your partner in decisions. My husband worked with the florist to design his button holes which meant something to him. I was not fussy about my flowers but my husband had a lot of input with the florist and she personally delivered them to us and was fantastic. We supported a small independent local business too.

That’s awesome Rachael that your husband was involved with the flowers. It’s good for the groom to be included because it’s also their day. Plus splitting up the tasks takes a lot of stress away from both of you. I’m glad you supported small local businesses. It means the world to us biz owners 🙂

• Jolene

Great tips! I got married 12 years ago and honestly didn’t have access to such great info on flowers.

I went with fake flowers. I wish I had known all this!

• Larissa

Who knew there was so much to think about when it came to flowers at a wedding? Certainly not me! I didn’t even consider the fact of the flower being in season and the price difference. I guess if you’re really set on a certain flower, that may be a factor in choosing when you get married. I can’t imagine that I would spend that much on flowers, as I’m not really a big fan of them, but who knows? This information is definitely good to know, and I feel like it’s info that is not really well-known!

I hear you Larissa. Flowers weren’t at the top of my list. I was surprised to learn that I was in the minority!

• Linette

I love flowers!! Your article helped me to understand when to order which flower. This was very helpful! Thank you!

• Ruthie

Wedding day flowers are my favorite!! I had white calla lilies!

• Ruth Ridley

Wedding flowers are my favorite!! Mine were white calla lilies!!