3 Ways to Help Calm a Stressed Bride

Everyone knows that weddings are stressful for brides. Fewer people consider the toll they take on us bridesmaids. Bridesmaid life is far from an easy ride. As well as giving her the bridal shower of her dreams and helping with those small touches, your role has a crucial underlying focus. However, the bride has a lot more to get her head around and it can take a toll on her welling being. For that reason, it’s important to know how to calm a stressed bride. You are, ultimately, her therapist during the preparation stages.

Bridesmaid Tips. 3 Ways to Help Calm a Stressed Bride.

It’s no easy task. A bride can be a difficult person to handle at the best of times, and in the worst of times, she really needs someone to lean on. The good news is, there are some tried and tested methods you can fall back on. Each of which should help keep your bride happy when wedding stress rears its ugly head. The following pointers may not get you a counseling PhD. They will, however, qualify you to pursue your bridesmaid role.

Let Her Talk

Sometimes, we just need to talk. Isn’t that what therapy is about? We’ve all seen it in the films, right? The therapist nods and asks questions while their patient reaches revelations galore. Put the theory to practice and you may be surprised by the results.

Next time you notice the bride having a meltdown about which white wedding invitations would send the right message, let her talk her way to a solution. Ask leading questions such as, “what message are you trying to send?” Or, “what shade did you have in mind?” As well as making you look like the most collected bridesmaid ever, this should guide her towards an answer. The same process can help her find the right dress, and even settle on a venue.

Two women talking. How to calm a stressed bride.

A word of caution though; don’t offer your opinions or advice unless the bride asks for it! She’s already getting a world of unsolicited advice from every person that hears she’s engaged. From her mom to that cousin she hasn’t talked to in 5 years, everyone has their thoughts on how the big day should go. It’s annoying, to say the least, so don’t add fuel to the fire of that drama.

Laughter Therapy

It may seem crazy simple, but laughing releases chemicals which help us feel better. Take it upon yourself to make the bride laugh whenever she freaks out. Next time you see the caught-in-headlights fear in her eyes, do your best to make her giggle. You could keep a few jokes up your sleeve for the occasion. Or, you could fall back on inside jokes which never fail to amuse. However you do it, get her laughing!

Two women laughing. How to calm a stressed bride.

Calming Techniques

Every bride could do with a little calming now and again. Especially after Aunt Bertha just called to ask if her dog can come to the wedding. And that high school friend wants to bring someone to the wedding they started dating 2 weeks ago. The list of reasons goes on and on…

The good news is there are many things to try and despite popular belief, the majority of them don’t take long. For those stressful moments on the go, develop breathing exercises to keep things calm. You could also practice ten-minute meditations together. For those days when the stress is just too firmly in place (seriously Aunt Bertha, Fido can’t come), you could book her in for spa sessions. Or, if you’re feeling adventurous, you could try that new yoga class the brides been wanting to forever. That’s bridesmaid dedication for you!

What do you think about these tips? Share with us in the comments.

• Meg

My best friend (and maid of honor) was and still is the best at calming me down when things get crazy. Your tips are right on point.

Thank you, Meg! I’m glad to hear you have that one friend that will always get you back on track. Wedding or not!

• Erica @ Coming up Roses

This is fantastic! Yes! Sometimes a bride just needs to talk it out. And laughter… it really is helpful in so many situations. We underestimate how helpful laughing can be, sometimes.

Laughter is the best medicine. Since bridesmaids are usually those closest to the bride, they would be the ones to know all the good inside jokes.

• Erin

Laughter really works wonders! Great point to not give unsolicited advice but rather to ask her questions that help the bride figure out what she really wants.

We so often want to solve the problems of those we love. Sometimes we accidentally take over in an effort to ease their burden. It’s easy to do, but what’s more helpful is to really listen! We often have the solution to our own problem, we just need the ear of someone who’s truly listening.

• Caitlin Patton

Love this post! Definitely letting brides talk, even if it’s crazy talk, makes them calm down, I’ve seen first hand!

You’re so right, Caitlin. It may sound like the ramblings of a mad woman, but the bride needs to get it off their chest.

• candy

I was never stressed over my wedding. Most women I know that are married didn’t stress either. We all had smaller weddings and had such good friends and family to help. Maybe that was our key to no stress.

I think your point is valid Candy. Weddings weren’t as lavish as they are today. Now they are a full-on production, and with that comes stress!

• Ashley Spyrka

Love this post! I’ve been on both sides of weddings and this is really great advice.

Thanks, Ashley! Glad you enjoyed it.

• Tanvi Rastogi

These are such great tip – Laughter hands down is the best remedy for everything!

❥ tanvii.com

Thanks, Tanvi. In the words of Mary Poppins… I love to laugh. Ha,ha,ha,ha! <3

• Katherine

I’m the MOH for my future sister in law that’s getting married on 12/2, so she’s freaking out, to say the least. Haha, I’m adding in some jokes to my list of things to do for her! I already booked her a massage for 2 days before the wedding. She doesn’t handle stress well, but I think these techniques will help!

OMGosh Katherine that is great that you already have the massage set up. I know that I love getting one when I’m stressed in general. Plus 2 days before the wedding is perfect timing. Some people are sore the day after a massage so you don’t want it to be too close to the wedding. You’re an awesome MOH and sister-in-law!

• Jessica Bradshaw

I think these are great. I think listening is so important. Weddings are a stressful time, so being a sounding board is very helpful.

We always need our good girlfriends to lend an ear. Especially so during big life events 🙂

Great tips! It’s so easy for a bride to get stressed on her wedding day as she wants this to be her magical moment often times and she knows that everyone’s eyes will be on her.

I agree Emily. Weddings are such a big to do nowadays and even when you try to tone it down you still have a lot of watchful eyes.

• Mykee

Some great suggestion. It’s amazing how some simple breathing exercises can really help re-ground you.

I think I need to apply this to my everyday life. Ya know, cause of the kids. LOL!

• Jolene

Weddings, although a joyous occasion, can be stressful at times. Laughter is definitely the best medicine. When I got married 11 years ago, our ring bearer (our 2 year old nephew, who did amazing at the rehearsal), decided not to walk down the aisle and threw the ring pillow on the floor instead. Everyone laughed and thought that this was what made our wedding day so memorable.

What a funny unplanned moment! I still say that one of my favorite memories of my wedding day was when the knife broke while cutting our cake. It was then stuck in the cake! We laughed so hard. It really put things in perspective. No matter how hard you plan, there will always be hiccups along the way.

• Madison

These are great tips! I know I was stressed to the max on my wedding day but my mom really helped me calm down.

Yes, moms don’t get enough credit. I need to do another article on how awesome MOBs and MOGs can be!