Why My Favorite Gift is Personalized Christmas Ornaments

In Favors and Decor, Trends, Wedding Traditions

Ever since I can remember, I’ve been making personalized Christmas ornaments in some form. In grade school, I made them for my parents. When my husband’s kids came into my life, I started a tradition where they made them for family members. I have many personalized ornaments from over the years, and they all have a special place in my heart.

Personalized Christmas Ornament Ideas. The perfect gift for preserving the memories of Christmas past.

Disclaimer: This product was given to me to try for a fair and honest review. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.

Family Tradition

You see, we are that family that has the mismatched tree. You know, the one with all the random ornaments from Christmas past. Some personalized ornaments, some generic store-bought bulbs, and others handcrafted. It’s not in the cards for us to be that sleek and modern, every ornament matches family. There’s nothing wrong with that, it’s just not our way.

I think back and realize it’s because growing up, my mom was the mismatch queen. She still says it gives it character, and every ornament deserves its spot on the tree. As you can probably guess, that is what her mom did when she was young as well. I still think fondly of all those Christmases around an overly tinseled tree with my sisters.

When I moved into my first apartment, I knew I wanted ornaments that represented something. I had a holiday housewarming and asked all the guests to gift me a new ornament. To this day, I still remember who gave me every single one of those ornaments.

Around that same Christmas, I started collecting ornaments from different countries I visited. Putting ornaments up on the tree has become a way for me to relive some beautiful memories. It also reminds me of the loving people in my life I call family and friends.

For a short while, when my stepkids were ages 9 to 13, we made ornaments together. I still have all of those and display them proudly each year. Now that the kids in my life are teenagers, it’s harder to get them to sit down for arts and craft projects. They have full lives of their own and finding time to continue the tradition is limited. Not surprisingly, I struggled this year to decide what ornaments we would be adding to our collection.

Couples Ornaments

My friend Courtney over at Mac and Molly blog introduced me to a wonderful company called Gifts For You Now. As I was shopping their personalized Christmas ornaments collections, I saw they had personalized wedding ornaments. It dawned on me that my husband and I never made or received any couples ornaments with our wedding date or my new family name.

I was looking for the right ornaments to showcase our love as a couple, and our family that was created through our marriage. Honestly, I still amazed at the number of choices there are on the website. I almost wasn’t sure how I could possibly narrow it down. Eventually, I chose two Christmas ornaments; a ceramic one, and a wooden one.

Personalized Wedding Ornaments.

Christmas Ornaments Arrival

I am so happy with the personalized Christmas ornaments I chose. The ceramic couples ornament features significant dates in our relationship. The dates include our first date, the date he proposed, the date we were married, and our first Christmas as newlyweds. Besides the sentiment behind it, I really like how shiny the ornament is and the snowflake patterns.

The other wooden ornament was called “home sweet home” and features the outline of our state, West Virginia. I really love this one! Although I grew up and spent most of my life in New Jersey, I have been in WV for over 5 years and I love it here. It is where we bought our first house, where our family calls home, and we were married nearby. WV will always take a big piece of my heart and I’m proud to call it home.

Personalized Ornaments

If you are looking for any last minute gifts for the family I highly recommend searching Gifts for You Now’s personalized wedding ornaments and Christmas ornaments collection. If you’re like me and always looking for a coupon code, they are synced up with Ebates and Coupon Cabin rebates. Never hurts to save so you can use that money for crafting ventures if you go the DIY ornament route too. I love a good combination of both!

What do you think about these personalized Christmas ornaments? Share with us in the comments.

I love the family photos from your childhood! My favorite Christmas ornament is my fairy that goes on the top. She was my mum’s mum’s. I loved her when I was little and I love her even more now my grandmother is gone and my kids put her on top of our tree when we decorate.

That is awesome Claire that you have your mum mum’s tree topper. My mom has a lot of my grandmom’s ornaments. I hope to one day get a few for my tree.

• Annette Dattilo

Loved this post. I too grew up with a mismatched tree with all kinds of ornaments, and I carried it through with my own family. You’re so right there are so many memories in those ornaments.

Thank you, Annette. I’m glad to hear others love this same tradition.

• Jess

These are gorgeous, will definitely be pinning these to look and possibly purchase tomorrow!

Thank you, Jess! I think you’ll really love the things you find on their site.

• Becca

These are so pretty! I love the old Christmas photos, and getting each guest to bring an ornament is SUCH a good idea, I love that so much! I’m going to have to steal that idea one day 🙂

Becca you totally should steal the idea, because I borrowed it from someone else. LOL. It really was a ton of fun. I got so many creative ornaments.

• Jen

I LOVE personalized ornaments! I have little figures with my children’s names and date on them. They are from different stages of their growing and interests….a little baby boy, a train obsessed toddler, a T-ball player, a basketball playing big kid…they are so fun to unpack each season!

Jen that is so cute! As a mom, it really must tug at your heartstrings.

• Jordan | Read. Eat. Repeat.

This is such a fun gift, especially for a first Christmas. We have a first Christmas ornament from the year we got married with our picture in it that I love.

That is so sweet Jordan. I love picture ornaments.

• Sam | Away She Went

Our tree has always been filled with mismatched sentimental ornaments too! I love the stories behind all of them. Personalized ornaments are such a great gift idea! I love the Home Sweet Home family one. One of my friend just gave me an ornament with our dogs’ picture on it. It’s so cute and I can’t wait to hang it on the tree!

I have a couple ornaments for my dog! My daughter painted him one time. It’s so cute.

• Vicki @ Babies to Bookworms

Love this! Our tree is covered in personalized ornaments and ones that we have picked up on our travels. My parents gave my sister and I personalized ornaments every Christmas when we were growing up, and it is so much fun to check out what our hobbies and passions were over the years. Now we collect ornaments on our travels and it is so fun to relive the memories!

I really love my ornaments from other countries. I just got a bunch from my trip to Japan and can’t wait to get them on the tree.

• Melissa

Love the old photos! We did personalized photo ornaments this year for the grandparents!

Such a nice gift. I don’t know why but ornaments are the gift that keeps on giving every year. The memories get stronger each year I have an ornament. It’s that nostalgia magic I think.

• Emily

Love this! When we celebrated our first Christmas as a married couple I realized how much I loved all the personalized Christmas ornaments we got, the sea turtle ornament to represent our honeymoon is my favorite 😍

I wish we bought an ornament from our honeymoon. It was in Vegas so I guess it would’ve been a pair of dice. Ha!

• Brenda

I like the idea. When I bought my home my friend gave me a Christmas ornament that had the year and welcome new home on it and it is special. Always enjoy making crafts and looking for ideas to share and easy gifts to put in cards. This year it is bookmarks.

I used to make small gifts for friends, but over the years I stopped. Just last night I was thinking how nice it would be to do that again. Honestly, bookmarks are a great idea! I can never find one so I’m always using random things like receipts. LOL.

• Angela Noel

My family has a tradition of buying (or making) a new ornament every year. I never thought about making our own, or personalizing one. But, it’s a great idea. We’re off to buy our ornaments today for the grand tree decoration ceremony, but I’ll keep this in mind for next year. Thanks for the idea

I think you should get a new ornament each year no matter what way you do it. Funny how it seems like that wouldn’t be enough ornaments, but over the years they really add up. Fills the tree nicely.

• Emma

It is nice to change your tree colour scheme every few years, but it’s nice to always have a few sentimental decorations on the tree :). Love them!

Maybe I’m a little plain jane, I always just stick to what I have. I do love seeing all my friends trees and how they change a little each year.

I am one of those coordinated-tree people, and I still love personalized ornaments! I do different color schemes every year, so not every ornament gets used every year, but when the special ones do come out they always make me smile that little bit more.

This is a really great idea. I never even thought of that! So every year your tree is different, but you’re getting to reuse ornaments from Christmas past.

• Rachael

I think those perfect trees which are colour themed look lovely but I absolutely love personalised baubles. Our tree in my family home is full of them. We have packs of shop bought ones but we also have ones that have a lot of meaning too. I love it!!

My collection is growing and the ornaments aren’t all going to fit in the same bin next year! LOL

• Becca @ The Married Cat Lady

I love your ornaments; they’re beautiful! We also have a mismatched tree because, like you said, our ornaments all have a story or a special meaning. (Although I’d just recently told my husband that, and as we were decorating the tree this year, he was asking about each ornament, and there were a few that I looked at and said, “I have no idea where that came from.” Ha!) We received a few ornaments when we bought our house, were engaged, and then when we were married, and they’re some of my favorites. Each year with my girlfriends we do a Secret Santa/ ornament exchange, and we always get ornaments for each other that mean something or reflect a big life event from that year. I feel like the ornaments on our tree tell the story of our lives; they’re not perfect, but neither is our life, and I wouldn’t want it any other way.

Wow, that comment got sappy quick. 😉

That’s so sweet Becca. I like how they’re not perfect, but neither is your life. Isn’t that the truth for anyone! Thank you for sharing.

• Abby Jo

Such a great gift idea! My mom would love this. She is very sentimental about ornaments!

I think all the comments on this post are proving lots of us are sentimental about ornaments, lol.

• Erica @ Coming up Roses

Mismatched ornaments are the best, especially when some of them are personal!

They kind of end up matching in a way. LOL.

• Lacey

I love personalized ornaments too! They always have a story!

xx,

Lacey

Oh the stories they might tell 😉

• Guillia (Borrow the Bride)

Love the family pics! This is a great idea for gifts, my husband is obsessed with getting new baubles for our tree every year, that’s next years anniversary present sorted!

That would be a nice anniversary gift.

• Erin - Unbound Roots

I love that you continue to make hand-crafted ornaments. You are right – those are the most special. When I got married and my husband and I bought our first house, my mother gave me many of the ornaments I made when I was little. They are, by far, the most cherished.

I have yet to get any of the ornaments I made as a child. I do like the ones my kids made for me though. I guess one day I will get some from my mom. I’d like to get a few that she has that were on my grandmom’s tree.

• Josy A

We do something similar. We’ve bought Christmas ornaments whenever we travel so now we have nice reminders of holidays whenever I get out the christmas box.

One of the sweetest wedding gifts we received was some christmas ornaments for us to fill up with souvenirs from our wedding. You could open the top and squish anything inside. I dried some flowers and added some of the origami I’d made for our wedding.

It’s so nice when christmas trees are so full of memories.

Josy that is such a lovely gift! I have programs leftover from our wedding and might use them to make ornaments.