Behind the Scenes of a Harvest Bliss Styled Shoot

In Professionals Confess!, Styled Shoot

A styled shoot is when a group of creatives come together to stage an event to obtain photos for advertising purposes or to build their portfolio. It gives each creative vendor a chance to try something new. It also provides the possibility to work with local vendors they’ve never worked with before. Usually the result is magic, and in this case, the result of that magic is true wedding harvest bliss!

Each styled shoot needs to start with some inspiration so that there is a clear vision. For this shoot, the focus was on combining traditional fall items with something bold. You’ll notice lots of pumpkins and dainty accents pieces side by side with black and white buffalo plaid linens. The main focal point; a bride with long blonde hair in a tulle dress wearing an eye-catching mustard cardigan. So how do we get the above vision to play out in real life?

Harvest bliss styled shoot. Fall wedding inspiration.

You Need a Great Location

You can have an amazing vision in your mind but without the right location, it can be hard to pull off. Lucky for us we were able to use the beautiful cabin at Cove Pastures. This place is truly a gem, secluded in the woods of Garrett County, MD. It is a converted hunting cabin and there is a wood burning fireplace for heat.

Since there is currently no running water, our only option was an outhouse. In all honesty, nobody used the outhouse, even though we were out there for over 4 hours. Hmm, I guess nobody was brave enough? That or we all have healthy bladders, LOL. But all joking aside, there really is something truly magical being that close to nature.

Collaborate with Local Businesses

After you find a great location, you need to connect with local vendors. For a bare-bones shoot you need at a minimum a model, a photographer, and custom items. So what kind of items? In this case, we had vintage furniture, handmade items, wine, specialty cheeses, desserts, stationery items, a bouquet, a wedding dress, and homemade turkey harvest bisque soup. (yum!)

Be Ready for Moving Pieces, Literally

So now that you have your players and items, everyone pitches in to help move things around. It is quite literally a lot of heavy lifting. In the case of this shoot, certain furniture pieces were used in more than one setup. The more hands that get in there and help the better. Speaking of hands…

Give Each Other a Helping Hand

Sometimes you have to do whatever it takes to get the shot. Those of us behind the scenes were wearing whatever kept us warm, including proper footwear for a day in the woods. Our photographer Jessica had on an amazing pair of red rain boots, and then she didn’t. Because as you can see, the shot she wanted to get required her to stand on a log. For safety reasons, off came the boots, and in came the helping hands.

Embrace the Downtime

When there is downtime, you will often see people taking pictures on their cell phone of their products. It can take a few weeks, or more, to get back the professional pictures. Each person collaborating has an opportunity to use this shoot to create their own stock photos featuring their items. This is great for posting sneak peaks on social media.

Have Fun!

For this shoot, it was amazing to have the wine because at the end of the day what are we going to do? You guessed it, drink it! We had delicious cheeses, homemade turkey harvest bisque, apple pie cake pops, pumpkin pie, and wine. We went from starving to stuffed within 30 minutes of the shoot being finished.

I hope you enjoyed learning about what goes on behind the scenes of a styled shoot. This was my first time at a shoot outdoors and it was so much fun. Check out part 2 of this shoot featuring all the gorgeous professional photos from that day.

BTS Harvest Bliss Shoot Participants.

Harvest Bliss Styled Shoot Vendors

Venue and Florals – Cove Pastures / @trishyoder

Decor, Design, and Vintage Rental – The Mustard Couch / @themustardcouch

Handcrafted Woodwork and Decor – Iron Grove / @iron_grove

Photography – Jessica Fike Photography / @jessicafike

Hair and Makeup – Ondrea Parsons at M Salon / @ondip

Dress – The Vow Boutique / @thevowboutique

Invitations and Paper Goods – Paper Hearts Invitations / @paperheartsinvitations

Handlettered Signs – Dainty Daisy Designs / @daintydaisydesigns_

Cheese – Firefly Farms / @fireflycheese

Wine – Kisha at Traveling Vineyard / @kisha_plus_wine

Pies and Pops – Mountain Flour Baking Company

Soup & Homemade Artisan Crackers – Meadow Mountain Catering

Assistant: Theresa at Bridesmaids Confession / @bridesmaidsconfession

What do you think about this behind the scenes look? Share with us in the comments.

• Beth

I love this so much!!! Thank you for sharing. ♡♡♡

Thanks for inviting me to participate in the shoot Beth!

• Hannah S.

Seriously loved this post!!! So information and full of fun pictures ? Looking forward to the next one!!

Thanks, Hannah. Your signs were perfection!

• Jaime

Your photos are gorgeous! I’ve never been exposed to behind the scenes info before, so I loved this post! I hope to style my own photos for my blog someday.

Thanks, Jaime! I figured that not everyone knew what goes on behind the scenes so it would be fun to share. If you want to do a shoot just grab a few friends and go for it. I’m sure you’ll surprise yourself with the amazing results.

• Anna

I always love the behind the scenes . My husband is a photographer and often we shows our customers the behind the scenes that way they know what we do to get a beautiful background. Love yours photos. I am trying to create a little set up here in our house for my blog photos.

I love behind the scenes stuff in general, but a wedding photographer that does that stuff intrigues me even more! I get what you mean Anna about setting up a space for blog photos. I’m still trying to figure out where in my house I can do that, lol.

• Allison

Thanks so much for documenting a behind the scenes look at the shoot! When you are a vendor or model involved, you don’t always get to see everything. This was very fun and creative!

Well isn’t that the truth!? LOL. You were a stunning bride for this shoot Allison. I’m so glad you enjoyed getting to wear another wedding dress. I saw Kristen yesterday at The Vow and I said… I really want to play bride again. So we’ll see 🙂

• Allison

Yes! Let’s get you in a dress next time! That would be so fun 🙂

Eeeek! it will be so much fun. I also talked to Kristen about incorporating bridesmaids. She was totally down for that!

• Jen

I was thinking about this amazing style with that buffalo check all night! These behind the scenes pics are so fun! I look forward to your future posts!

OMGosh thank you, Jen! I hope it inspired a nice table setting for your Thanksgiving dinner.

• Sami Summers

Again, this is just stunning! I know that so much work went into this and the outcome is well worth it. You make it look effortless. Brava!

Aww Sami that’s so sweet. Thank you much!

• Kristen

I have always loved styled shoots and had no idea how much work went into them! Beautiful

Honestly Kristen, I didn’t know until recently either. LOL.

• Jessica Bradshaw

How fun. What a great styled shoot. I just love the fall and all the colors and fun things you can do with it

Fall has always been my favorite. Next year I’m going to plan a Halloween shoot super early. It’s on my bucket list.

• candy

It is always fun to go behind the scenes and actually see how it all comes together. Tons of work to make everything picture perfect. Something us normal people try to achieve but never totally get there. Great for inspiration ideas.

Thanks, Candy. You need a great photographer. It’s a big piece of the puzzle. Thankfully Jessica is amazing! Wait until you see the final photos I put out on Monday.

• Jazz

This is such a pretty setup!

Thank you Jazz!

• Fancy

This is so pretty. Thr location alone is fantastic.

We couldn’t have asked for a better location <3

• Ritu Bhathal

What great shots! Love seeing being the scenes!

Thank you Ritu!

• Becca

I didn’t know so much went into a shoot! It sounds like a fun time though!

It’s amazing the time and energy it takes to create such a beautiful space. It’s well worth it though!

I love how rustic and cozy all of this looks. So lovely!

Thank you. It’s really been making me dig under the covers on cold days. LOL.

• Kimberly

What a great look at your process! I love getting a behind the scenes look!

Isn’t it so much fun to see!?

• Judy

I love looking behind the scenes. It looks like a lot of fun as well as some very hard work, but the end results well worth it! 🙂

Thanks, Judy. It’s well worth the effort. I am itching to do another one soon!

pingbacks / trackbacks