The Unwritten Rules of the Bachelorette Party

In Bachelorette Party

Throwing a bachelorette party can be oodles of fun, but there are some unwritten rules that everybody needs to be aware of before this party goes ahead. Absolutely anybody can plan a bachelorette party for the bride, whether it’s the maid of honor, a family member, or a special Head Bridesmaid in Charge (wink, wink). Just make sure you stick to these rules so that everybody has an awesome time!

Bachelorette Party 101- know the unwritten rules for a bachelorette party success story.

Keep it Fairly Small

Bachelorette parties are usually always better if you attempt to keep it fairly small. You should have 20 to 10 at most. Ten or less is ideal. Trying to arrange a party around more people means lots of changing dates, hiccups in the road, and more issues. It can be so tough trying to get everyone on board with the same thing and then getting money from everyone too!

Decide on the Perfect Date – Not the Night Before

Make sure you decide on the perfect date for the bachelorette party. It should not, under any circumstances be the night before the wedding! The bride doesn’t need to have the best day of her life with a hangover and looking exhausted. The night should be at least 3 days before.

At home dinner as a bachelorette party.

You Don’t Have to Have a Night Out on the Town

This is fine if it’s the bride’s style, but if it’s not, you can still have an awesome time without having a night on the town. You could go for dinner at her favorite restaurant, relaxed drinks at a cool bar, or even to see a comedy show. Some brides might even prefer a mini getaway with her girls to relax.

Arrive in Style

Arriving to whatever you’re doing in style is bound to put everybody in a great mood. The atmosphere of the night should be buzzing! Look into limos and other options on sites like www.bergenlimo.com/fleet/new-jersey-nj to see what best suits the bride. I’m sure the bride-to-be would be thrilled to take a limo rather than a cab. It’s her night, so splurge on little luxuries if that’s the bride’s thing.

Bring Props

This doesn’t have to be a blowup man doll, so don’t panic! You can bring fun props like a candy necklace and bracelet set for the bride to be to wear, a wig, signs to wear, and anything else you think is a good idea. Props keep things lighthearted and make for some great photo ops.

A great place to find fun wearables is Lets Wear Dresses etsy shop. I have a prop collection at home that has grown over the years. I love to bring it to bachelorette parties, and guests really love the wigs.

Photo booth fun with props and wigs.

Send Out Save the Date Cards

Make sure you send out save the date cards in advance once you’ve decided on a date. I have found www.paperheartsinvitations.com has beautifully designed options. This ensures everybody has time to book the day off, and you have a little more time to plan. If you already know the theme or other details, be sure to include that information.

Reconfirm Guests in Advance

Make sure you reconfirm guests in advance too, just incase. You don’t want the bride to be to feel disheartened when only a couple of people remember to show up! A great way to get everybody to remember what’s happening is to create a facebook group.

Have Fun

Now that you know the unwritten rules of a bachelorette party, you can make sure everyone has the best time. Remember, the bride to be is the most important person here, so ensure you consider her likes and dislikes. You’re there to celebrate, have fun, and pop the bubbly!

What do you think about these tips? Share with us in the comments.

honestly, I can take or leave props. it’s all about great group of women having fun and celebrating the bride. and keeping in mind that they may not all know each other because they may know the bride in different ways, so making the effort to be sociable so that it’s a fun event for the bride.

Good point Claire. Props aren’t always necessary, but being game for the events is so that the bride has a great time.

• Giustina

These are great tips! I love the one “You Don’t Have to Have a Night Out on the Town,” especially if the bride prefers a day of pampering, shopping, etc.

I went to a bachelorette weekend in the mountains of WV a few years back. So much fun, and it was during the fall so the foliage was unreal.

• LeeAnn

Great tips! I’m getting married in March so gotta start planning this stuff!

Congrats on your engagement! I say this along to your bridesmaids. Let them plan all the good stuff 😉

• Melissa

These are really fun ideas! I like the mix of practical and fun plus it looks like there is something for everyone. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks Melissa. I try to keep things affordable and fun. Mostly fun though 🙂

• Anna

This is such a great ideas. You are right, throwing a bachelorette party doesn’t need to be going out. Thank you for sharing this awesome post.

Thanks Anna. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

• Fancy

I will add : keep the hens fed! Small snacks or nibbles will keep everyone safe and happy

Yes! Food is a big thing to have readily available.

• Ritu Bhathal

Great tips!!!! When I had mine I was the first of a group of friends and it was great fun!!!

I was the first bachelorette party I had ever been to as well! That was over 3 years ago and there has been a ton more since then.

• Hanna

Great guide also pinned! My bachelorette party was a lot of fun and pretty small only my bridesmaids and two other girls. It was funny that it ended up being the same weekend as my husband’s bachelor party and we had another surprise snow storm. Those pics look like so much fun what did you guys do?

That sounds like fun even though it snowed. The pictures I used in this article were from a bachelorette party in Atlantic City, NJ. The first night we were in a suite partying and the second night we went out bar hopping. You can check out more by clicking here.

• Becca

Great post; I agree with everything you said! I swear, the limo ride at my bachelorette party was one of my favorite things! It was so fun to dance and have a couple cocktails on our way out. It truly made the night even more special. Also, I don’t know what kind of crazy people really have the bachelor/ette parties the night before the wedding. That’s insane!

Having a limo is the one thing I wish we did, but everything was walking distance from the hotel we stayed it.

It really hasn’t been the trend in the last decade to have it the night before the wedding, but it used to be! I know of a story of a bachelor party the night before the wedding where the groom ended up getting into a bar fight and showed up to his wedding with a black eye. It really was insane.

• Lisa Orchard

Great tips! I haven’t been to a bachelorette party in years! Reading this post brought back so many memories! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Lisa. I love reliving all the memories I have from wonderful bachelorette parties. Glad you could do the same with this article.

• Jazz

This is so timely as I’m a bridesmaid in two weddings early next year!

I’m glad it will help!

• Josy A

Aww I love a good hen night. It’s always brilliant to meet the best friends of your besties!

The best ones for me are when you get to so something creative OR challenging together so you get to know everyone before any dancing starts.

My hen weekend was one of the BEST weekends of my life. It was so, so fun. <3

Oh my gosh Josy you’re right. I love a good bachelorette party game! Really breaks the ice.

• Cathy

I actually never got a bachelorette party (my bridesmaids didn’t bother planning one!), but I definitely agree that it doesn’t have to be a night on the town. I would have loved to have a winery day with my girl-friends!

Awww, well when I come visit Georgia we’ll meet up and go have a fun day out!

• Caitlin

Definitely agree with doing whatever the bride enjoys, whether it’s a night out or not! I’ve been to some awesome bachelorette parties involving pedicures, comedy shows, the casino, low-key bars and restaurants… anything different and fun with a good group of girls!

It’s such an amazing excuse to do something you’ve never done or something you rarely get to do. If the bride is up for it of course. Plus the excitement of the reason you’re all together usually keeps the night fun.

This is PERFECT because I’m planning my sister’s bachelorette party next year! Thank you for these perfectly timed tips!

How exciting! Well if you need any help I think I know the perfect person 😉