A Perfect Pose: How To Strike Gold On Your Wedding Day

Let’s face it ladies – every woman wants to wow on their wedding day. But, walking down the aisle and strutting your stuff isn’t enough. Wowing at the wedding is about looking good for the rest of your life. Let me explain. You might never wear another wedding gown again, and you might never feel as beautiful. So, you should always have your big day to look back on with unadulterated pride. Oh yes, you guessed it – that means photos and how to strike the perfect wedding day pose.

Perfect poses for your must have wedding pictures.

Head on the Shoulder

Photographers and couples alike love this pose for the same reasons. Simply put, it’s pretty easy to pull off and doesn’t take much practice. The keys are to make sure that you don’t smash your face into your partner’s body and gently rest it on their shoulder. Then, wrap your arms around your love and smile. Because it feels natural, the body language is organic and pure and the results are great. Plus there is usually a height differential that adds a great contrast.

Bride with head on shoulder of groom.

Holding Hands

A favorite of any wedding photographer, holding hands is another basic pose. But, again it gets great results because it’s natural and is something you have done a million times. What’s more, there is no need to look down the lens at the camera. Lots of couples struggle with this because it makes their bodies tense up, which looks silly. Usually, a snapper will get you to stare lovingly into each other’s eye as you walk toward your mark.

Couple holding hands on their wedding day.

Foreheads Together

Okay, so this one is a little cheesy, but a professional should be able to pull it off without much fuss. The key is to get close together like a genuine couple. It’s not a school dance, so standing shoulder width apart looks weird. Then, keep your eyes closed, as open eyes are serial killerish! Finally, find a comfortable place for your hands. Some people like to put them on their partner’s waist, while others prefer on their neck or cheek. If you like, they don’t have to be in the shot.

Couple on their wedding day, forehead together pose.

Wide Shot

All of the above are usually close-ups, and that is good because a close-up adds a sense of warmth. Plus, they are the easiest poses to strike. However, couples pay a fortune for a venue, so it makes sense to get it into a couple of shots. This is where a wide shot or a foreground/background pose comes into play. In simple terms, you stand close to the camera while your partner is further back for contrast purposes. Again, the trick is to have comfortable hands. Girls look good either holding something or with their hands on their hips. Guys should have them down by their side. Also, get your partner to walk toward you while they look in your direction. That should erase any awkwardness.

Playful bride and groom on their wedding day.

Kissing

This one is a given on your wedding day! You just got married, so kiss away like the photographer isn’t even there. Makes for a truly candid moment on film you’ll cherish forever.

Lesbian brides on their wedding day kissing.

Hopefully, these are poses which will make your big day last forever.

What do you think about these tips? Share with us in the comments.

• Leah

I WISH we would’ve researched more on wedding photography before ours 5 years ago! These are great tips and gorgeous photos!

Thank you so much Leah. I’m glad you found them helpful. So much goes into planning a wedding, so no matter what it always seems like you could’ve done more. I’m sure your wedding was fantastic.

• Cathy

My favorites would have to be the foreheads together – when it’s done right! 🙂 I love cozy and intimate wedding portraits.

Me too. I keep thinking of a closeup shot of me with my husband over my shoulder. It is dreamy. I was truly stunned when I got the photos back thinking “Omg that’s me!”

• Amanda

I think my favorite of these poses is the head on the shoulder and the holding hands. There is such an art to posing the perfect wedding pics. You want it perfect because it is forever.

Agreed. I had some of my pictures put on canvas that I display in my house!

• Patricia

One of my besties is getting married this month. I can’t wait for the photos!

I’m sure you’re going to have so much fun Patricia! Enjoy 🙂

• Candy

I loved the photos on this post. Although I am already married, I will use the tips for photos in general. I do a really bad slouching thing.

I’m glad you found it helpful Candy. It’s always good to get updated pictures at least every couple of years, or as often as you can!

• Morgan Harvey

Beautiful photos. Wish I would have found earlier! Great advise.

Thank you Morgan!

• Kristin | Life of Stones

Photography was one place I wish we’d have put a little more thought and planning into for our wedding! These are really beautiful!

I agree. There are so many moving pieces on a wedding day. Allocating your attention and time to pictures takes a good chunk of your day but it is so worth it in the end.

• Lindsay

These tips are great! One thing that really helped us was doing engagement photos – that way, we were already comfortable in front of the camera on our wedding day!

So true Lindsay! Everyone should do engagement photos to get comfortable posing. If it is with your wedding day photographer that is even better!

• Jenny

These are all great poses! I can’t believe it’s been almost a year since I got married.

Thanks Jenny! I totally get that. It’s been over 3 years for me now. Where does the time go?

also (and this is easier to say than to do): relax. because the photographer will capture lots of great non-posed shots, that might end up being some of your favourites.

I have a great mix of candid and posed. I think there is a beauty to both.

These are such great tips for couples to think about before the big day! It can be so nerve-wracking doing a photo shoot—even more so on your wedding day.

Agreed! You don’t want your wedding day to be the first day you get professional photos done as a couple.

• Jessica Wagner

These poses are great! My husband and I shoot weddings on the side and he always looks to me for suggestions on posing! I need to bookmark these! Thanks for sharing! XO

Oh thank you, Jessica, that is a nice compliment!

• Erin

Great tips! Every single one of those photos is absolutely beautiful. I love seeing a mix of wide shots and detail shots!

Thank you! I just love wedding pictures in general. Give me all the pics, haha!