Simple Tips for a Drama Free Wedding Day

In Advice, Bridesmaids Confess!, Real Weddings

It’s hard to believe it has been over a year since my sister got married! Her wedding was a gorgeous destination wedding in Cape May, NJ at the Hotel Alcott. It honestly went very smoothly. A few hiccups like all weddings, but nothing to cause a major headache. Some of that was in part to having a really easy going bridal party. So today I’m sharing with you a few tips to help create a drama free wedding day.

Simple Tips for a Drama Free Wedding Day.

Don’t Drink Too Much the Night Before

Most couples have their rehearsal dinner the night before the wedding. It is tradition that the groom’s parents pay for this meal, and many times alcohol is served. As lovely as it is to have someone treat you to dinner and drinks, don’t go overboard. If you do, you run the risk of embarrassing yourself and upsetting the couple.

At Christina and Jim’s rehearsal dinner, I had a really great time. The food was delicious, the drinks were flowing, and the conversations were fun. I should’ve stopped there, but we took the after party back to the hotel.

Nothing crazy happened, and thankfully I didn’t wake up with a complete hangover. I was just tired and a little dehydrated. A total blessing really, because having a hangover on wedding day is no fun at all. I made sure to drink plenty of water and eat a large breakfast.

Theresa of Bridesmaids Confession at her sisters wedding.

Be Willing to Help

The day of the wedding involves a lot of people and a lot of moving pieces. Make sure to stay in the loop of the days activities, and offer help where you can. The bride may have vendors that are doing setup and timeline management, but that doesn’t mean she won’t have a few extra tasks you can assist with.

I remember going to the front desk at the hotel the morning of the wedding and asking if we could have food brought up to the bridal suite. I knew that we would be rushing around after breakfast. We were going to the salon to get hair and makeup, and pictures started shortly after that. I wanted to make sure nobody was ‘hangry’ or worse, ended up passing out halfway down the aisle.

Something all the bridesmaids assisted with was making sure Jim and Christina didn’t see each other before the first look. They were getting ready on the same floor only a few rooms down from each other. We did hallway checks or ran errands for my sister so she didn’t have to leave her room. Running errands also helped make sure the bride wasn’t feeling rushed leading up to the day’s major events. Plus we helped her get ready, a time honored bridesmaid tradition!

Listen to the Couple’s Wishes

When I did my first look on wedding day, a lot of my friends and family ended up watching. It wasn’t something I planned, but it also didn’t bother me either. Taking a cue from my wedding day, my sister let everyone know her and Jim wanted this to be a private moment.

The hotel she was married in was a historic site with about 40 rooms. So it wasn’t too surprising that some friends and family were hanging around in the lobby. Before my sister headed down to see her groom, the photographer went and helped clear everyone out. As tempting as it was to try and sneak a peek of this moment, I waited upstairs with the other two bridesmaids. In the end they had their wishes respected, and we all got to enjoy the first look later through photos

Bride Christina and groom Jim first look - shot 1.
Bride Christina and groom Jim first look - shot 2.
Bride Christina and groom Jim first look - shot 3.
Bride Christina and groom Jim first look - shot 4.
Bride Christina and groom Jim first look - shot 5.
Bride Christina and groom Jim first look - shot 6.
Bride Christina and groom Jim first look - shot 7.

Be Where You Are Supposed to Be

This is a big one that I constantly tell everyone in the bridal party. Be where you are supposed to be at all times. If you’re not sure, then ask! The couple is probably having some jitters and you don’t want to stress them out. There is nothing worse than trying to get everyone ready for pictures and realizing someone is missing.

Since this was the second wedding for our family, I think everyone knew the drill. Once the first look was over everyone was in the lobby waiting to be directed for pictures. It was really a no fuss bridal party, and I’m sure my sister was thankful for that!

Bridal party on the beach.

Just Have Fun!

Remember, being relaxed and having fun helps the couple loosen up. A lot of time, money, and planning go into a wedding. If you have no assigned tasks, make it your goal to make the couple laugh. They asked you to be in their wedding for a reason, so they obviously want you to enjoy in the day with them.

I sure did have a fun time at my sister’s wedding, and it seems like everyone else did too!

Photo Credit: Cecilia Grace Photography

What do you think about these tips? Share with us in the comments.

• elise

I love this post!! weddings can be so dramatic, so this is such a great idea for a blog post!

Thank you Elise. I try to keep it real around here 🙂

• jenna urben

Great tips and beautiful photos!

Thank you Jenna!

• courtney

My wedding day was actually SO filled with drama, my bridesmaids were amazing it was more from family but it’s a shame because the drama caused us to miss so much!

Aww I’m sorry to hear that Courtney. Sometimes weddings bring out the worst in people. Everyone has such high expectations. That’s why I still believe the #1 rule is listen to the couple’s wishes!

• Jessica Fike

Great post…so much good, easy info! 🙂

Thank you Jessica! I think there is beauty in simplicity.

• Sam | Away She Went

These are all great tips! Listening to the couple’s wishes is so important. I feel like a lot of the drama comes from someone (wedding party/friend/family) making it about them and not the bride and groom.

I think you are right Sam. The more weddings I’m involved in I realize that people just don’t THINK. Sometimes they just do and say whatever they want, which normally wouldn’t be too bad, but on someone’s wedding day you need to take a backseat. As someone in the bridal party you are there to help. As a guest you are just along for the ride, so enjoy it.

• Ayanna

These are great tips and such a beautiful wedding! Listening to the couple’s wishes and being willing to help in any way they need is so important.

It sure does go a long way Ayanna.

• Kaitlynn

Cape May is a GORGEOUS wedding location!! The drama involved in my wedding was mostly because of other people trying to tell us what we had to do for OUR wedding. While most of it was in good heart, it is stressful for the bride to be worrying about such little details the day before the event. I definitely agree with your post.

I really do believe people mean well. They don’t realize how stressed the couple is because most of the time they’re putting on a brave face. It was something I didn’t realize until after my own wedding!

• Becca

All very true! It can be hard when someone in the wedding party doesn’t remember that they’re there to make lives easier, and help things run more smoothly.

I would like to believe it’s because they just don’t know any better but that’s not always the case.

• Taylor Reese

Love your tips! Especially the willingness to help. I see this problem more and more in weddings and it is sad.

Thanks Taylor. It always goes back to communication. The bride and groom need to tell everyone what they need. Holding back will only cause them a headache later.

• Emily

I love this! Someone’s wedding day can be one of the most stressful days of their life because they want everything to go just right and be magical!

Yes, and as someone who’s wedding is over sometimes you can’t see it until later that all those extra things weren’t really important.

• Clarissa

These are excellent tips! We’re getting married in November and I’m truly hoping for a drama-free day! <3

Aww Clarissa thanks. I’m sure you will have a beautiful wedding day.

• Caitlin Patton

Girl yes to the drinking the night before… At my cousin’s wedding, people got so rowdy that they got in physical altercations with one another. Made the poor bride so stressed out the night before her big day!

Wow! Now that is pretty crazy. I can’t imagine how upsetting that would be. Everyone needs to remember why they are there and keep the drinking in check.

• Erica

I love these tips! And beautiful wedding photos. I’m definitely saving this for when my big day comes (someday haha).

Thanks Erica! It was a really lovely day. Couldn’t have asked for better beach weather.

• Home Well Managed

Totally agree with the “be willing to help” there is so much going on that extra hands definitely never hurt! Great post!

Weddings need all the help they can get if you ask me!

• Misty Eilar

Great Tips! Definitely, listen to what the bride and groom want. It is their day, not yours. I wish some people at mine did that.

Don’t we all Misty. LOL!

• Shannon Palmer

Great info for bridal and grooms parties!

*ahem* or just elope to New York …

pingbacks / trackbacks