How To Avoid Embarrassing Bridesmaid Errors

Being a bridesmaid is an amazing honor. (Hence why we’ve dedicated a blog to it.) But people often forget that it’s not just an honor – it’s a task. It’s not as passive as people make it out to be. This means that it’s possible to make some pretty embarrassing bridesmaid errors. Here are the common ones that you need to avoid!

How to Avoid Embarrassing Bridesmaid Errors.

Agreeing to do it in the first place

This, of course, isn’t a mistake for most bridesmaids. But some only agree to be a bridesmaid because they were asked to do so – without actually being ready or prepared to sacrifice the time and money that being a brilliant bridesmaid entails! We have an article here about this very topic. Take the time to ensure you’re really ready to become a bridesmaid. It’s more demanding than a lot of people expect!

Stressing out

As a bridesmaid, part of your duty is to support the bride-to-be throughout the process. However stressful this process is for you, it’s bound to be much more so for her! Try to keep a level head. Yes, you may run into a bunch of problems, but it might be best if you don’t bother the bride with them too much. If there’s some bridesmaid drama, then try to ensure it’s resolved among the bridesmaids. Don’t try to get the bride to be a mediator!

Helping Bride into her Dress

Not setting a budget

As implied earlier, agreeing to be a bridesmaid can end up being a pretty expensive decision. When it comes to the average cost of being a bridesmaid, estimates range from around $1000 to $1600. Ouch.

It’s easy to see how so much money can be spent – you have dresses, shoes, travel, jewelry, and a host of other expenses to consider, after all – but that doesn’t mean spending an exorbitant amount can’t be avoided. The best thing you can do is agree on a budget from the start. Most bridesmaids end up spending so much because they didn’t set a budget. Remember, once you set a budget you need to track your spending throughout the process.

Trying to outdo the bride

Big faux pas. Thankfully, it’s a pretty rare one, but sometimes bridesmaids do get a little ahead of themselves. While you may be accustomed to trying to outshine everyone in the room with your style, it’s not really an appropriate goal here. Besides, not only is it an inappropriate goal, it’s also an impossible one. If the bride is rocking a Vera Wang dress, a Verragio ring, and Badgley Mischka shoes, then you’re definitely not going to win. And trying is just going to cause your spending to skyrocket – which we’ve already warned you against.

Gorgeous Bride and Bridesmaids

Arriving hungover

Yes, it’s customary to have a pretty big party the night before a wedding. And yes, arriving hungover to things occasionally makes for pretty funny stories. But it’s best if you arrive as clear-headed (and un-sick) as possible. Keep it as safe as possible by really limiting your booze intake the night before, no matter how fun it may seem to do otherwise at the time.

What do you think of these bridesmaids errors? Do you have any others to add to the list? Chat with us in the comments.

• Lisa Woerner

It would be nice to make sure that you are up to the task of bridesmaiding before you accept! ❤️

• bridesmaidsconfession

It’s always a good idea to know what you are getting into! A lot of people don’t, hence why this site is full of articles. LOL.

• Zhade

Every bridesmaid needs to read this! Seriously, I feel like I am always the only bridesmaid that cares that the wedding is about the bride! Don’t be lazy, do what you are supposed to do and be helpful!!

• bridesmaidsconfession

It usually happens when someone hasn’t been a bridesmaid before and don’t understand all the duties involved. Then again, I’ve seen my fair share of “look at me” bridesmaids and that’s really an overall personality trait. So sad that some people can’t put aside their selfish ways.

• Dominique

Agreeing to do it in the first place…number one thing to consider! LOL!

• bridesmaidsconfession

It’s like, “oh you don’t want to put the work in? Then say no.” Ha!

• Aditi

Never been a bridesmaid but these were fun to read.

• bridesmaidsconfession

Hope you get to one day. My favorite part is the bachelorette party!

• Jenna Urben

This is such a great post and perfect timing too! I’m the MOH in an upcoming wedding, and we’re going dress shopping soon… Time to think about my budget!

• bridesmaidsconfession

Make sure you bring tissues with you dress shopping! Glad this article helped and got you thinking about your budget. It’s way more manageable financially to start saving now.

• Misty Eilar

My main thing is to think of the cost and the responsibilities. If you can’t handle either or haven’t even discussed them with the bride, they probably not going to end well for someone.

• bridesmaidsconfession

I’d say 90% of bridesmaid problems could’ve been solved with open communication!

• Carly

I think my bridesmaids were more prepared than me! They came to me to pick up dresses and were talking about matching shoes together. I didn’t even care if they wore shoes ? but it was great to have people to bounce ideas off.

• bridesmaidsconfession

How sweet! Sounds like your ‘maids were very happy to handle all the outlined duties. You were a lucky bride.

• Rose

I think that you have written a sensitive and wise article about being a bridesmaid. I didn’t really think of the etiquette errors that are possible: like outshining the bride.
    Brides can be so sensitive anyway, you want to be as supportive as you can!

• bridesmaidsconfession

Thank you! Yes, sometimes it does feel like the bride is being “overly sensitive” but I totally understood after I was a bride. There are so many people that are offering you opinions and it is overwhelming. I think in those moments the bride looks to the bridesmaids to be her voice of reason and support.

• Jessica

Thank you so so much! Just what I was looking for. It’s a great post I will be sharing my other fellow bridesmaids.

Thanks for sharing. I’m sure your bridesmaids will do an amazing job! If they need any help, send them my way 🙂