A Bridesmaid Experience – Tips from a Wedding Coordinator

In Advice, Professionals Confess!

This is a guest post by Kristie Small, Wedding Coordinator of My Wedding Day Diva

It’s hard to be a Bridesmaid! You want to please your beautiful bride bff but at the same time it IS a big commitment. A commitment of time and a commitment of resources.  So let’s review the basics of being a great bridesmaid.

12314447_10153281466363225_3809369431808829116_o[1]

Don’t be mean!

Sounds silly to have to say “don’t be mean”, but there may be times you want to tell, or yell, at the bride that you aren’t Ivanka so no you can’t buy her a yacht. Not to mention holding back on speaking your true thoughts on her “dreamy” palette she’s chosen for dresses. You know, the ones that will look like throw-up on you and that you will NEVER actually wear again no matter how much she promises you will. Refrain! It will be difficult, but refrain beautiful bridesmaid. Only speak your mind if you can figure out a way to be kind!

12314459_10153281491338225_598072225889939374_o

Start save, save, saving that cash!

If you didn’t already know, this is your warning you will be spending a boatload of cash. Yep, I said boatload. *laughs out loud* Start setting aside some funds in your budget. I once had to sacrifice my monthly root touch up for so long that I was a self made ombre until the week before the wedding when I finally got my hair done. Feeling strapped for cash at some point as a bridesmaid happens to ALL of us. You’ll need a dress, possibly an engagement gift, travel, hotel rooms, there will be showers, a bachelorette and… the actual wedding. This sounds like a lot but I promise you in the end all of the frustration you felt will disappear when you party down at that reception and celebrate the fabulous new couple!

12004741_10153169289528225_8415099607828734346_n

Have a plan!

So what do you do until you get to that glass of wine at the end of the love rainbow? Start with a plan. Talk to the Maid of Honor, or if you are the MOH make sure you talk with your bride. She is in a whirlwind of tulle and guest lists and probably has no idea where to start to make everyone happy. Ask her what she needs help with and especially what she needs the bridesmaids to do. It will calm everyone down and make things easier right from the start!

12039667_10153169289348225_5304649219814001334_n

Make lists!

This is the part where you start a LIST. I love lists. Can’t live without lists. I get made fun of for all of the lists I use on a daily basis. Now MOH here is where the biggest responsibility lies, because once you calm down the busy bride, you have to get the bridesmaids all on the same page. Do this from the beginning and it will make for much smoother sailing the entire way through. Have brunch for whomever can make it to discuss ideas and facetime the ones who can’t attend. You can laugh, have some mimosas (complain about how expensive everything is) and start planning!

12512317_10153365096088225_7109367334999933504_n

All in all, at the end of the day, every event during engagement through the wedding ends up being fun and great memories you will keep for a lifetime. So buckle up beautiful bridesmaid, your girl needs you and your fabulousness all the way through!

With Love,

My Wedding Day Diva

You can follow Kristie on Instagram @my_wedding_day_diva

What do you think about these tips? Do you have other tips to add? Share with us in the comments.

• GiGi Eats Celebrities

I am getting married in NOV and I am making all my bridesmaids lives very easy…. As I am not really talking to them about wedding planning. Probably won’t have a bachelorette party. Didn’t have an engagement party and I will probably buy all the dresses for them. No bridezilla here. I am super chill about all of this and treat the ladies like I would want to be treated.

• bridesmaidsconfession

That is one way to keep it stress free! Hope you are enjoying all your wedding planning adventures 🙂

• amandamwalter

Great post! I had fantastic bridesmaids when I got married – I couldn’t have been more lucky 🙂 I also wasn’t a bridezilla at all, and most of them were from out of the country and came the weekend of the wedding. Hehe. They were all great though and stepped up without even being asked 🙂

• bridesmaidsconfession

That’s awesome! If they ever want to tell their experience have them contact us. It would be good to have written confirmation you weren’t a bridezilla. (jk!) 😉

• askthegal

This is a really helpful post! My friends are in that stage of life where weddings will be the norm. These tips will definitely come in handy.

• bridesmaidsconfession

Thank you. Be sure to send them our way. We’re always looking for bridesmaids to share their adventures.

• hugshomemadegmailcom

Great post and great tips. I had twins as my bridesmaids. They were incredible and very supportive. Thanks for sharing great tips 🙂

• bridesmaidsconfession

That sounds like a fun story. I’d love to hear what your twins thought about being in the same wedding!

• hugshomemadegmailcom

They loved it. 🙂

• Missy VanMeter

Great tips! I couldn’t agree more about the lists- I’m a big list maker, lol. I had so many lists scattered about while planning my wedding, it was insane, haha.

• bridesmaidsconfession

I find in every day life if I don’t make a list or put an event on my calendar I forget! Happens to the best of us as we get older.

• Missy VanMeter

Exactly! I can literally be going I to the store for TWO things and if I don’t make a list, I will forget 1 of those 2 things lol. But I’ve been that way since I was 18-19, so I can’t use age as an excuse, lol! 😉 Blame it on the thyroid!

• girlfromgirlintherapy

“…the ones that will look like throw-up on you and that you will NEVER actually wear again” — OMG, I can relate! Happened to me the few times I was a bridesmaid!!! When I got married (last year), I didn’t make anyone wear that. Heck, I didn’t have bridesmaids (for personal reasons).

My sister gets married Jan 2017. I will be sending this to her to send to her bridesmaids! 🙂

• bridesmaidsconfession

Glad you found thish helpful and that you were an awesome bride 😀 Thanks for sharing with your sister!

Haha, yeah, being in a wedding is expensive. Especially as a MOH, hosting showers and bachelorette parties gets super pricey. Totally worth it of course 🙂

• bridesmaidsconfession

The cost of weddings has risen so much! Luckily it seems like brides and their bridesmaids are coming up with creative ways to keep costs down. We love hearing all their suggestions.